I’m trying to put together a press conference/rally to support the National Prisoners Strike. I shouldn’t need to convince you that ending prison slavery and mass incarceration is the key struggle in the U. S. right now and the strikers are on the front lines of this fight. THEY NEED OUR SUPPORT. Tentative plans for rally: Friday, September 8, 5 PM Oscar Grant (Frank Ogawa) Plaza, Oakland, CA. Please get back to me if you can endorse and/or help with this effort. If you know of any similar efforts, please let me know so we can combine forces. [I just saw that SURJ and Bilal Mafundi Ali had a San Quintin rally last Saturday, but we need to keep the pressure up!] I want to encourage people in different cities to do something to support this historic strike as well. https://www.democracynow.org/2018/8/21/national_prison_strike_begins_prisoners_in
PLANNING MEETING FRIDAY 8/29 3:30 PM. REQUEST LOCATION IN COMMENT SECTION BELOW
DEMANDS OF THE STRIKE:
- Immediate improvements to the conditions of prisons and prison policies that recognize the humanity of imprisoned men and women.
- An immediate end to prison slavery. All persons imprisoned in any place of detention under United States jurisdiction must be paid the prevailing wage in their state or territory for their labor.
- The Prison Litigation Reform Act must be rescinded, allowing imprisoned humans a proper channel to address grievances and violations of their rights.
- The Truth in Sentencing Act and the Sentencing Reform Act must be rescinded so that imprisoned humans have a possibility of rehabilitation and parole. No human
shall be sentenced to Death by Incarceration or serve any sentence without the possibility of parole.
- An immediate end to the racial overcharging, over-sentencing, and parole denials of Black and brown humans. Black humans shall no longer be denied parole because the victim of the crime was white, which is a particular problem in southern states.
- An immediate end to racist gang enhancement laws targeting Black and brown humans.
- No imprisoned human shall be denied access to rehabilitation programs at their place of detention because of their label as a violent offender.
- State prisons must be funded specifically to offer more rehabilitation services.
- Pell grants must be reinstated in all US states and territories.
- The voting rights of all confined citizens serving prison sentences, pretrial detainees, and so-called “ex-felons” must be counted. Representation is demanded. All voices count.