Maybe we – the left – should embrace this idea of a Constitutional Convention and fight for the Constitution we need: Eliminate the Electoral College. Why does it surprise us that a provision written into the Constitution by white supremacists to protect slavery biases our system toward white supremacists?
What else should be in there is the Second Bill of Rights, which was allegedly developed by Eleanor Roosevelt, introduced by FDR in 1944, and later incorporated into the U. N. Declaration of Human Rights – as well as into Bernie Sanders platform:
- The right to a useful and remunerative job in the industries or shops or farms or mines of the nation;
- The right to earn enough to provide adequate food and clothing and recreation;
- The right of every farmer to raise and sell his products at a return which will give him and his family a decent living;
- The right of every businessman, large and small, to trade in an atmosphere of freedom from unfair competition and domination by monopolies at home or abroad;
- The right of every family to a decent home;
- The right to adequate medical care and the opportunity to achieve and enjoy good health;
- The right to adequate protection from the economic fears of old age, sickness, accident, and unemployment;
- The right to a good education.
And while were at it, we could amend the 13th Amendment to take out that part that permits slavery in prison. We’d need to add a few things like reparations for slavery and subsequent discrimination, a parliamentary system, one person one vote. Eliminate the Senate. Etc.
Since this thing is coming from the hard right, we might not get our delegates elected, but the battle for delegates could be huge. And if we lose and a right dominated convention actually gets underway, we can surround it with massive demonstrations. We have one terrific advantage over the right which seems to be dominating politics of late: we have the vast majority of people on our side.